Friday, April 10, 2009

Kenya Update

Only 3 months left!
Praise God for supplying us with $3,000 at the end of March!
We didn't quite reach our goal of $4,000 for that month but still waiting on God to provide.
Over the month of April our goal is $3,000 and May's financial goal will be $2,000.
I'm so grateful that God is in control of all of this and grateful that we have friends and family joining our team to invest in missionary kids lives this summer.

We had our first official team meeting last monday with 4 people from across the country in attendance over speaker phone. We officially have 13 people on our team! The details have almost been solidified now as we were given an itinerary of our week at the missionary conference. It will be about six six hour days of ministry to children, babies to teens. Our team will be split up to work with various age groups.

I (Melissa) am going to work with the baby to 2 year old age group and be the team lead.
Kevin is likely going to work with the elementary age group.
So the next few months include programming and organizing age appropriate activities. PLEASE feel free to send suggestions our way or resources we could use to work with the kids. We will also be doing some research on the countries these missionary's are coming from and suggested reading about bible translation...maybe learning some swahili as well!

During our second week there will likely be work projects like painting and such. Again, if you'd like to offer any resources like paintbrushes or rollers we will be in need of these. As well as visiting and assisting a translation project as we are able.

We're very honored to be able to go serve in this way in July and we hope that you'll join us.
Please keep us in your prayers as they are needed before the trip in details- visas, shots, travel, health , during- the work itself, team unity, safety, God to change lives! and after as we process what was experienced and share that with others.

4 comments:

  1. I think I may have some resources for you for the activities section. Lets chat over a coffee sometime! Actually, you both should come down for some dinner! :) Love you and I'm praying--I know this will be an AMAZING time of encouragement! I know Amy Wasylenka is very excited to meet you both already :) ~Coral

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that your hearts are in the right place, but spending nearly $10,000 of other peoples money seems like a huge waste of resources that could better serve an impoverished country.
    How much are you contributing personally?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    I think Kevin and Melissa would appreciate your desire to see money go to people who may have little to no resources of their own. I also understand a little of the deep need that missionaries have while they are out on the field. These missionaries are spending huge amounts of time in a culturally alien environment which can wear extremely on their emotions, not to mention the spiritual attack they would be under due to the Enemy not wanting them to compete translating the Bible for those who need it. From what I understand, Kevin and Melissa are going to provide a service for these missionaries so that they will be better equipt to minister to the people God has called them too, for the Bible also calls us to minister to our brothers and sisters in Christ. I am sorry that you feel that this is a waste of money, but I would ask you the same question, How much have you contibuted to the spread of God's word, how much of your life has been devoted to reaching those who do not know Him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe in God. So I don't go around spreading his word.
    I do believe in caring for the worlds poor and vulnerable. I think this is a misuse of resources and the work they are doing could just as easily be performed by a Kenyan. I see an arrogance in many western christians who believe that they can provide a God given service that no one else can. I am sure there are competent Kenyan people who could provide childcare and translation assistance for a fraction of a cost. The experience could empower Kenyans to spread the gospel to their own people, rather than having culturally alien people coming in at enourmous financial costs.
    I did believe in God for most of my life and I did do missions. Missions that I funded myself through hard work and strict budgeting.
    Melissa is a very genunie and giving person and I don't doubt her motives, but I think chrisitans need to reevaluate the reasons they want to fly all over the world to do missions. I wouldn't mind traveling, but I will do it on my own dime.

    ReplyDelete